• The Indian Defense Minister Nirmala Sitharaman recently met Russian Defence Minister General Sergei Shoigu at the 18th meeting of the India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Armed forces Technical Cooperation (IRIGC-MTC) that was held in New Delhi.
Crucial Highlights of the 18th Meeting of IRIGC-MTC:
• In the meeting, an extensive assortment of troubles ended up mentioned with regards to defence tools, sector and technological cooperation between India and Russia.
• Problems associated with just after revenue aid and upgradation of navy machines of Russian origin were also reviewed.
• Both of those the Ministers has expressed heir gratification at the progress in bilateral defence cooperation among India and Russia.
• Discussions took a spot on joint manufacturing projects in the assembly, which includes the Kamov-226T helicopters, naval frigates and other assignments similar to land programs.
• There was also a settlement from both the sides to acquire forward inter-governmental arrangements to facilitate joint manufacturing of spares for equipment of Russian origin in India, beneath the ‘Make in India’ scheme.
• The present IRIGC-MTC will be restructured to the IRIGC on Military and Navy Specialized Cooperation. An arrangement about this was signed by the two Defence Ministers.
• Russia has been the most essential arms provider for India’s Defence forces.
• Both of those the nations around the world have an institutionalized framework to oversee all the challenges of armed forces-specialized cooperation.
• The IRIGC is at the top rated of this institutionalized composition. The India-Russia Inter-Governmental Fee on Military Technical Cooperation (IRIGC-MTC) was set up in 2000.
• The Very first conference of the IRIGC-MTC was held in Moscow in 2001.
• The 19th IRIGC meeting is proposed to be held in Russia next 12 months.
Mains Paper 2: IR | Bilateral, regional & global groupings & agreements involving India &/or affecting India’s interests
Prelims level: IRIGC-MTC
Mains level: Enhancing maritime security in the Indian Ocean Region