• Recently, 34th Inception day of National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB), was celebrated in New Delhi.
• National Crime Records Bureau was formed on 11th March 1986.
• NCRB is mandated to empower the Indian Police with Information Technology (IT) and is responsible for collecting, maintaining and analyzing the crime data of the country.
• It is the nodal agency for an authentic source of data on crime, accidents, suicides, and prisons for policy matters and research.
• It is also the apex nodal agency for all fingerprint related matters including accreditation of Fingerprint Experts in the country.
• It, furthermore, imparts training in IT and Fingerprint Science for Indian Police Officers as well as Foreign Police officers.
Mains Paper 2: Polity
Prelims level: NCRB