• Supreme Court on Tuesday set up a five-judge Constitution Bench to hear the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid land title dispute case. The Constitution Bench is scheduled to hear the matter on January 10.
• The bench would be headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi and comprise of Justices S A Bobde, N V Ramana, U U Lalit and D Y Chandrachud.
• Last week the CJI had said that the long disputed case would be posted before an appropriate bench.
• “Further orders in the matter will be passed on January 10 by the appropriate Bench, as may be constituted,” a bench comprising Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi and Justice S K Kaul had said.
• The apex court on October 29 had fixed the matter in the first week of January before the “appropriate bench”.
• An application was moved for according an urgent hearing by advancing the date, but the top court had refused the plea, saying it had already passed an order on October 29 relating to the hearing of the matter.
• Various Hindutva organisations have been demanding an ordinance on early construction of Ram temple at the disputed site.
Mains Paper 2: Polity
Prelims level: Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid Case
Mains level: Not Much