• National Girl Child Day is celebrated to increase the awareness among people about all the inequalities faced by the girl child in the society.
• Inequality about girl child is a vast problem which includes many areas like inequality in education, nutrition, legal rights, medical care, protection, honour, child marriage and so many.
Theme for 2019
• The day in 2019 is celebrated with theme of “Empowering Girls for a Brighter Tomorrow”.
• Many programmes are organised and scheduled for the occasion including awareness campaign on save girl child, child sex ratios and creating a healthy and safe environment for a girl child.
• Haryana would be awarded for its good performance for the ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’ initiative of the national government.
• Rajasthan would also be included in the award for its improved performance for the same.
• Andhra Pradesh would be celebrating a weeklong event on the occasion of National Girl Child Day.
• The event will include awareness programs, self-defence training, drawing and painting competitions for children, child literacy etc.
Objectives behind the observance of day:
• To celebrate the accomplishments of girl children and bring focus on important issues such as declining sex ratio, female foeticide, child marriage, gender inequality and disparity in India.
• To highlight the importance of education, nutrition, legal rights, medical care and safety of girl children.
• To develop an enabling environment for girls where they will feel safe and will be able to utilise their potential fully.
• To offer support and expand the scope of opportunities for girls in the nation.
• To remove different types of social discrimination and exploitation faced by with them.
• To raise awareness among the girls that they have equal rights to quality education, health care and nutrition.
• To make girls aware of all their legal and human rights in the country.
Mains Paper 2: Governance
Prelims level: National Girl Child Day 2019
Mains level: Details of the National Girl Child Day 2019