• An art gallery for the great poet and freedom fighter Subramania Bharati, promised by the former Chief Minister M.G. Ramachandran decades ago at Ettayapuram.
• It has not been created at all. He inaugurated Bharathiyar centenary celebrations at Ettayapuram on December 11, 1981.
• Then Governor of Kerala Jothi Venkatachalam laid the foundation stone for an art gallery.
• A 10-acre land was also acquired for the purpose behind the memorial but it remains unused.
• As the State celebrates the poet’s 97th death anniversary today, there is a need to establish the art gallery.
Important highlights of this art gallery
• The art gallery should depict important events of freedom struggle and have an audio-visual theatre.
• MGR wanted to create an art gallery similar to Valluvar Kottam in Chennai
• A blueprint of the project was published in Tamil Arasu (mouthpiece of the State government).
• The project got shelved due to reasons best known to the authorities concerned.
• However, three other projects promised at the time – Bharathi Cooperative Spinning Mills, Bharathi Girls High School and Bharathi Memorial Polytechnic College for Women – were completed.
• When Mr. Manian wrote to the government about the project in 2011, he got a reply saying that the project was not under consideration.
Mains Paper 1: Personalities
Prelims level: Subramania Bharati
Mains level: Not so important