• Arecanut (also known as supari or betel nut) is the latest entrant in the list of agricultural produce with a geographical indication (GI) tag.
• ‘Sirsi Supari’ grown in Uttara Kannada district of Karnataka has received the Geographic Indication (GI) tag.
• The arecanut has unique features like a round and flattened coin shape, particular texture, taste and has a hard seed. These features are not seen in arecanut grown in any other regions.
• It is cultivated in Yellapura, Siddapura and Sirsi taluks in Karnataka.
• Totgars’ Cooperative Sale Society Ltd., Sirsi, is the registered proprietor of the GI.
Mains Paper 1: Geography
Prelims level: ‘Sirsi Supari’
Mains level: Details of the product