• Argentina on Monday became the 72nd country to sign the Framework Agreement of the International Solar Alliance (ISA).
• The agreement was inked on the sidelines of the official three-day visit of Argentinian President Mauricio Macri to India by Argentina’s Foreign Minister Jorge Faurie in the presence of ISA’s Director-General Upendra Tripathy.
• Countries which have signed the agreement until now include India, France, Australia, UAE, UK, Japan amongst others. The agreement was opened for signature during the COP22 at Marrakech on November 15, 2016.
• The International Solar Alliance (ISA) is a group of 121 solar resource-rich countries with headquarters in Gurugram, India.
• The organisation aims to deploy over 1,000 gigawatt of solar energy and mobilise more than USD 1,000 billion into solar power by 2030.
• According to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
Mains Paper 2: IR | Important International institutions, agencies & fora, their structure, mandate
Prelims level: International Solar Alliance
Mains level: India’s initiatives for transition towards Renewable Energy