• Ministry of AYUSH observes Ayurveda Day every year on Dhanawantari Jayanti (Dhanteras).
• This year Ayurveda Day is being observed on 5th November 2018. On this occasion, Ministry is organising a “National Seminar on Entrepreneurship and Business Development in Ayurveda” in association with NITI Aayog on 4th & 5th November 2018 at Dr. Ambedkar International centre, Janapth, New Delhi.
• The intention to encourage entrepreneurs and Ayurveda stakeholders towards businesses opportunities in the sector.
• Nearly 800 participants from across the country are expected to participate in the main function of 3rd Ayurveda day.
• “National Dhanwantari Ayurveda Award” comprising of Citation, Trophy (Dhanwantari Statue) and Cash reward of Rupees five lakh shall be conferred on this day to eminent Vaidyas.
• The Ministry of AYUSH has selected three renowned Ayurveda experts namely Vaidya Shiv Kumar Mishra, Vaidya Madhav Singh Bhagel and Vaidya Itoozhi Bhavadasan Namboothiri for the prestigious National Dhanwantari Ayurveda Award for the year 2018.
• The winners of the National level Ayurveda quiz conducted by All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA), New Delhi, will also be felicitated during function.
• Another highlight observation of the 3rd Ayurveda Day would be the launch of the AYUSH-Health Management Information System (A-HMIS), a dedicated software application for Electronic Health Record (EHR) for the AYUSH systems of Healthcare.
• A-HIMS which is being launched across 15 AYUSH units in different parts of the country in the first phase on 5th November 2018 is expected to revolutionise the way Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy are practised in the country, by inducting modern IT-solutions into these systems.
• Ministry of AYUSH has conducted various activities throughout the country as a part of Ayurveda Day celebrations.
• The Ayurveda half marathon was one of the main activities in 100 cities throughout the country through All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA), New Delhi, Research Councils, Institute for Postgraduate Teaching & Research in Ayurveda (IPGTRA) Gujarat, and National Institute of Ayurveda (NIA) Jaipur.
• A spate of activities including Public Lectures, Exhibitions, Distribution of Medicinal plants, Patient-education drives and Social Media campaigns were also organised by the Central Council of Research in Ayurveda (CCRAS) through its units across the country.
Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development & management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources
Prelims level: Ayurveda Day, A-HMIS
Mains level: Need of promoting AYUSH system of medicines