• A three-state field-level campaign on Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) will be organised by the Union Government from the first week of January 2019.
• As a part of the campaign, over 900 cultural programmes across various districts of Maharashtra, 100 programmes in Goa and 30 programmes in UT of Dadra & Nagar Haveli would be held.
• The awareness and sensitisation drive is being organised by the Pune office of Regional Outreach Bureau (ROB) and the Union Ministry of Information & Broadcasting in coordination with Women and Child Development Departments of the respective states.
• The campaign was launched by Gauri Gadgil, a Divyang child and an international swimmer, by placing her fingers on the traditional instrument “Dholak”, symbolising the creation of reverberance about the scheme across the three states.
• She said on the occasion that girls are making their mark across the globe, giving name and fame to their families.
• As a prelude to the campaign, an orientation-cum-workshop on the flagship scheme was organised for the Private Registered Cultural Troupes (PRTs) in Pune on December 20, 2018.
• Inaugurating the workshop, former ADG, Ministry of I&B, Prabhavati Aakashi said that the cultural troupes of ROB have been doing a wonderful job in creating awareness and sensitising people on the importance of the initiative.
• The cultural troupes are an important bridge between the Government and the last mile at the grass root level, as they help create awareness about various schemes among the people through locally prevalent communication means such as drama, skits, songs and plays.
• After the inauguration, a briefing session on various aspects of the scheme was conducted by Assistant Commissioner, ICDS, Mumbai, Sandhya Nagarkar.
Mains Paper 2: Governance | Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies
Prelims level: Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’
Mains level: Read this scheme