• The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) stated that the Bill will create accountability and protect those who are trapped in fraudulent marriages and are abandoned by their spouses.
• External Affairs Minister has introduced the Registration of Marriage of Non-Resident Indian Bill, 2019 in Rajya Sabha. The bill aims to offer more protection against exploitation of Indian women by their NRI spouses.
• The bill envisages compulsory registration of marriages by Non-Resident Indians within 30 days of marriage.
• The bill also seeks to amend the Passports Act 1967 to allow for the cancellation of passport or travel document of NRI in case non-registration of marriages. The Passports Act is the legislation that guides issue and cancellation of passports and travel documents.
• It calls for amendment to the Code of Criminal Procedure 1973 to empower the Courts for issuance of summons, warrants to NRIs. CrPc is the main legislation on procedure for administration of criminal law in India.
• Several reports of women trapped in fraudulent marriages and harassed by NRI spouses have necessitated the introduction of the bill.
Mains Paper 2: Governance | Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these scheme
Prelims level: Particulars of the Bill
Mains level: Preventing marriage as a tool for exploitation