• The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the Amendment of the Jallianwala Bagh National Memorial Act, 1951.
Gist of the decision:
• The decisions aims to suitably amend the Jallianwala Bagh National Memorial Act, 1951 so as to secure representation as Trustees, “the Leader of Opposition recognized as such in the House of the People, or where there is no such Leader of Opposition, then the Leader of the single largest Opposition Party in the House”.
• In the existing Act, there is a provision for representation of a single national political party. Deletion of the party specific member from the Trust will make it apolitical.
• The proposed amendment ensures representation of the Opposition Party in the Trust.
• The proposed Amendment will empower the Government to terminate and replace a Trustee to participate in functioning of the Trust or for any other reason.
Mains Paper 2: Governance
Prelims level: Jallianwala Bagh National Memorial Act, 1951
Mains level: Read the story