• Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) on August 28, 2018, unveiled the specifics of the Gaganyaan mission.
• The Gaganyaan mission was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the course of his 72nd Independence Working day speech.
• India’s first manned area mission ‘Gaganyaan’ will be launched by the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) by 2022.
• The mission will send a 3-member crew to space for an interval of five to seven times.
• Prior to the actual start of this manned mission by 2022, the ISRO will start two unmanned Gaganyaan missions.
• It weighs close to 7 tonnes and will be carried by a rocket.
• The crew module’s size will be 3.7 meters and 7 meters.
• GSLV Mk-III start automobile will be utilised to start Gaganyaan.
• The spacecraft will be positioned in a very low earth orbit of 300-400 km.
• The spacecraft will comprise of a crew module and assistance module that represent an orbital module.
• Following the consider off, the manned flight will reach the orbit in 16 minutes.
• The crew will do microgravity experiment during the mission.
• The crew will be picked by Indian Air force (IAF) and ISRO jointly after which they will undergo schooling for two-3 years.
• The crew, while coming back to the Earth, could land in the Arabian Sea off the Gujarat coast or in the Bay of Bengal or even on land.
• The thriving implementation of the programme will make India the fourth nation on the planet to start a Human Spaceflight Mission. So far, only the USA, Russia and China have introduced human spaceflight missions.
Mains Paper 3: Science and Technology
Prelims level: Gaganyaan Programme
Mains level: Read the story