• The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi today approved the setting up of a High-Level Committee for implementation of Clause 6 of the Assam Accord and measures envisaged in the Memorandum of Settlement, 2003 and other issues related to Bodo community.
• After Assam agitation of 1979-1985, Assam Accord was signed on 15th August, 1985.
• Clause 6 of the Assam Accord envisaged that appropriate constitutional, legislative and administrative safeguards, shall be provided to protect, preserve and promote the cultural, social, linguistic identity and heritage of the Assamese people.
Duties of the Significant-Amount Committee
• The High-Stage Committee has been authorized to suggest constitutional, legislative and administrative safeguards as envisaged in Clause 6 of the Assam Accord.
• The Committee shall look at the performance of steps because 1985 to put into practice Clause 6 of the Assam Accord.
• It will maintain discussions with all stakeholders and evaluate the demanded quantum of reservation of seats in Assam Legislative Assembly and community bodies for the Assamese folks.
• The committee will also assess the necessity of steps to be taken to safeguard Assamese and other indigenous languages of Assam, the quantum of reservation in work below Governing administration of Assam and other measures to secure, protect and boost cultural, social, linguistic id and heritage of Assamese people today.
• The composition and terms of reference of the committee will be issued individually by the Ministry of Household Affairs.
•The location up of the Committee is expected to pave the way for the implementation of the Assam Accord in letter and spirit and will assist fulfil longstanding expectations of the Assamese persons.
• The Cabinet also accredited a variety of steps to fulfil the outstanding troubles relevant to the Bodo local community.
• The Bodo Accord was signed in 2003 that resulted in the institution of a Bodoland Territorial Council less than Sixth Timetable of the Constitution of India.
• Nonetheless, there have been representations from unique organisations of Bodos to fulfil numerous remarkable calls for.
• The cupboard has accepted the establishment of a Bodo Museum-cum-language and cultural review heart.
• It has also permitted modernisation of current All India Radio Station and Doordarshan Kendra at Kokrajhar and naming a Superfast Coach passing by BTAD as ARONAI Specific.
• The State Government will also consider essential actions similar to ideal land coverage and land laws, apart from location up of establishments for study and documentation of customs, traditions and languages of indigenous communities.
Mains Paper 2: Polity | Functions & responsibilities of the Union & the States, issues & challenges pertaining to the federal structure
Prelims level: Assam Accord of 1985
Mains level: Various policy safeguards for distinct Assamese community