• The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has been apprised of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and France in the field of energy efficiency / energy conservation. The MoU was signed on 17th October 2018.
• The MoU is a Science and Technology agreement, which involves knowledge exchange and cooperation in the nature of technical assistance only.
• The MoU is expected to take forward information exchange on policies, programmes and technologies relating to enhanced energy efficiency and demand side management.
• The MoU will lead to awareness creation on energy efficiency. Development of tools for collection, use and analysis of CO2 emissions and GHG data for tracking global emissions for INDC.
• It will promote Research and Development, and demonstration of energy efficient technologies. Development of sustainable mobility with specific focus on electric transport.
Mains Paper 2: International Relations
Prelims level: Energy efficiency / energy conservation
Mains level: Not much