• The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has been apprised of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Tajkistan on Cooperation on Peaceful uses of Space Technology for Development.
• The MoU was signed on 8th October 2018 at Dushanbe, Tajkistan.
• This MoU shall enable pursuing the following potential interest areas of cooperation such as, remote sensing of the earth; satellite communication and satellite based navigation;
• Space science and planetary exploration; use of spacecraft and space systems and ground system; and application of space technology.
• The MoU would lead to set up a Joint Working Group, drawing members from DOS/ISRO and the State Committee of Land Management and Geodesy of Republic of Tajikistan, which will further work out the plan of action including the time-frame and the means of implementing this MoU.
• The signed MoU will provide impetus to explore newer research activities and application possibilities in the field of remote sensing of the earth, satellite navigation, space science and exploration of outer space.
• The MoU would lead to development of joint activity in the field of application of space technologies for the benefit of humanity. It will lead to setting up of a Joint Working Group, which will further work out the plan of action including the time-frame and the means of implementing the provisions of this Agreement.
Mains Paper 2: International Relations
Prelims level: India and Tajkistan
Mains level: Not much