• The Union Cabinet on Thursday gave its approval for moving a resolution in the first assembly of the International Solar Alliance (ISA) to amend the framework agreement of the alliance to open up its membership to all UN countries.
• The decision was taken to put solar energy on the global agenda with the universal appeal for developing and deploying solar energy.
• The Cabinet also apprised of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) and a Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) with Russia on October 5.
Important highlights of the MoUs
• The MoUs/ MoCs provide a platform for Indian Railways to interact and share the latest developments and knowledge in the railway sector.
• They will also facilitate exchange of technical experts, reports and technical documents, training and seminars/ workshops focusing on specific technology areas and other interactions for knowledge sharing.
• To strengthen cooperation in the field of tourism, the Cabinet approved signing of an MoU between India and Korea.
• The aim is to expand bilateral cooperation in the tourism sector and to encourage investment in the tourism and hospitality sectors.
• Approval was also given for renaming of Odisha’s Jharsuguda Airport, as “Veer Surendra Sai Airport, Jharsuguda”.
• The Cabinet gave its nod for an agreement between India and Morocco on mutual legal assistance in criminal matters.
• It will provide a broad legal framework for bilateral cooperation between the two countries in investigation and prosecution of crime, tracing, restraint, forfeiture or confiscation or proceeds and instruments of crime.
Mains Paper 2: IR | Important International institutions, agencies & fora, their structure, mandate
Prelims level: International Solar Alliance
Mains level: India’s renewable energy commitments and efforts in that direction