• The Ministry of Home Affairs Saturday notified the high-level committee that is expected to look into the implementation of Clause 6 of the Assam Accord of 1985.
• The committee is headed by a retired IAS officer MP Bezbarauah and includes eminent Assamese personalities from various fields.
• The panel will submit its report within six months. Bezbaruah has served in Assam as a bureaucrat and was also part of the North Eastern Council.
• He earlier headed a committee in 2014 that looked into discrimination suffered by Northeastern people in mainland India following the death of Arunachal Pradesh resident Nido Tania in Delhi.
• The committee is expected to look at reservation of Assamese people in Legislative Assembly of Assam and other local bodies.
• It would also look into the need for reservation in government jobs for Assamese people apart from recommending on various measures needed for preserving the culture and identity of Assamese people.
Following matter the committee will examine
• The Committee will examine the effectiveness of actions taken since 1985 to implement Clause 6 of the Assam Accord.
• The Committee will hold discussions with various stakeholders including social organizations, legal and constitutional experts, eminent persons from the field of art, culture and literature, conservationists, economists, linguists and sociologists.
• The Committee will also suggest measures to be taken to protect Assamese and other indigenous languages of Assam.
• The Committee may suggest any other measures as may be necessary to protect, preserve and promote the cultural, social, linguistic identity and heritage of the Assamese people.
Mains Paper 2: Polity
Prelims level: Bezbaruah committee
Mains level: Important highlights of this committee