• China has passed a law that seeks to “Sinicise” Islam within five years and might do that with other four religions in the country, according to the state media.
• Under the all-powerful Chinese President Xi Jinping, China has heavily cracked down on religion, especially Islam practised by most Uighurs in the country’s Xinjiang province who Beijing suspects of having separatist and extremist tendencies.
• China passed a five-year plan to Sinicise Islam at a meeting on Saturday with representatives from China’s eight Islamic associations.
• Governing religion is a common challenge faced by all modern countries.
• The main purpose of China’s five-year plan to sinicise Islam is to seek governance that tallies with Chinese practice, and it is not only limited to Islam.
Mains Paper 2: International Relations
Prelims level: China