• China has been opposing India’s entry into the 48-member NSG on the ground that India is not a signatory to the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), though the other P5 members, including the US and Russia backed its case based on New Delhi’s non-proliferation record.
• China, France, Russia, Britain and the US the permanent members of the UNSC also known as P5 countries have concluded their two meetings here to discuss issues related to nuclear disarmament, nuclear non-proliferation and peaceful uses of nuclear energy.
• Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang Thursday said at the end of the successful conference the member countries reached an important consensus to jointly uphold the responsibilities for international peace and security.
• We will uphold the NPT mechanism. We underscore its importance as the cornerstone of international non-proliferation system and also an important component of international security.
• The NSG is the top club of countries which controls access to technology and guards against proliferation.
• Its membership is important for India to access cutting-edge high technology.
Mains Paper 2: IR | Bilateral, regional & global groupings & agreements involving India &/or affecting India’s interests
Prelims level: Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG), MTCR, Australia Group
Mains level: Importance of joining NSG and other export control regimes by India