• China’s BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) has started out supplying world wide company. It is touted as a rival to America’s World Positioning Procedure (GPS). Pakistan has turn into the initially international nation to use the BeiDou technique ending its reliance on GPS.
• China’s BeiDou Navigation Satellite System was the fourth worldwide navigation technique soon after US’s GPS, Russia’s GLONASS and the European Union’s Galileo.
BeiDou Navigation Satellite Program
• China has named its navigation satellite technique after the Chinese phrase which usually means ‘Big Dipper’. BeiDou-1 consisted of three satellites and was providing navigation solutions largely in China and neighbouring locations. It was decommissioned in 2012.
• The next technology of the navigation process, BeiDou-2 grew to become operational in China in December 2011 with a partial constellation of 10 satellites in orbit and started supplying products and services in the Asia-Pacific area from December 2012. The 3rd technology of the navigation program, BeiDou-3 started to present global solutions from 27th December 2018.
• China ideas to have a total of 33 satellites functioning in orbit for BeiDou by the end of 2018 which incorporates 15 BeiDou-2 satellites and 18 BeiDou-3 satellites. China more programs to launch yet another 11 BeiDou-3 satellites and just one BeiDou-2 satellite in the coming two many years to sort an entire worldwide network for maximizing the worldwide service functionality.
India’s Navigation Procedure
• The Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) named NAVIC is a regional satellite navigation system that provides exact authentic-time positioning and timing companies covering India and an area extending 1,500 km all around it.
• NAVIC presents two ranges of services, the standard positioning provider, which will be open for civilian use, and restricted services for approved buyers (which include military services).
• There are ideas to expand the NavIC technique by escalating the range of satellites from 7 to 11.
Mains Paper 3: Science and Technology
Prelims level: China’s navigation satellite system
Mains level: Read the story