• The National Rice Research Institute (NRRI), has released four new rice varieties, including two high-protein and two climate-smart varieties.
The four new varieties comprises of:
• Two high-protein rice varieties (CR Dhan 310 and CR Dhan 311) and
• Two climate-smart varieties (CR Dhan 801 and CR Dhan 802), which are tolerant to both submergence and drought and few biotic stresses to face the challenges of climate change.
Initiatives taken by NRRI
• NRRI also developed a Mobile App ‘riceXpert’ to provide information to farmers in real time besides facilitating the flow of information from scientist to farmers.
• NRRI is the nodal agency for planning, implementation and monitoring of the Bringing Green Revolution in Eastern India programme.
• It was established in 1946 and subsequently the administrative control of the Institute was transferred to the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) in 1966.
• NRRI is one of the institutes of Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) and is located at Cuttack in the state of Odisha.
Mains Paper 3: Economy
Prelims level: NRRI
Mains level: Agriculture related issues and innovations