• The Maharashtra Cabinet on Thursday approved the conversion of decommissioned carrier INS Viraat into a floating museum.
• As per primary estimates, the project worth 852 crore rupees will be implemented through public-private-partnership (PPP).
• The decision has been taken to elicit interest among the school and college students in the marine sector.
• It will make the new generation familiar with the glorious history of INS Viraat.
• The Maharashtra Government to the Union Defence Ministry said, the carrier will be housed on a concrete foundation near Nivati Rocks in Sindhudurg in Konkan region of the state.
• This will enable the tourists to see the diverse aquatic life and experience sky-diving, sailing and other thrilling sporting activities.
• INS Viraat, which holds a place of pride in Indian defence history, was decommissioned in March 2017 and since then has been laid up at the Naval Dockyard.
Mains Paper 2: Governance
Prelims level: INS Viraat
Mains level: Not Much