• The Election Fee of India (ECI), for the very first time, has banned all varieties of tobacco in polling booths all through the general elections in 2019. The shift is aimed at properly employing tobacco management legislation across the country.
• The Fee has requested all states and UTs to difficulty instructions to all the district electoral officers-cum-district magistrates to make sure prohibition of not just cigarette smoking but also the use of chewable tobacco in all polling booths in the region.
• According to the tips issued by the Election Commission, all polling booths in the place are to be declared tobacco-cost-free and not just smoke-free of charge.
• Consequently, the use of bidi, cigarette, gutkha, scented or flavoured chewable tobacco will be prohibited. Every polling booth will be necessary to have a banner set up, stating the similar.
• The presiding officer of every polling booth will be nominated as the nodal officer for ensuring tobacco-free of charge status at their booths.
• All district tobacco manage cells will supervise and monitor this marketing campaign to sensitise men and women on unwell outcomes of tobacco.
Mains Paper 2: Polity
Prelims level: Bans all kinds of tobacco
Mains level: Role of ECI