• Ministry of Power has launched the ECO Niwas Samhita 2018, an Energy Conservation Building Code for Residential Buildings (ECBC-R).
• The code was launched on National Energy Conservation Day 2018.
Aim of ECO Niwas Samhita 2018
• To benefit the occupants and the environment by promoting energy efficiency in design and construction of homes, apartments and townships.
About the Energy Conservation Building Code
• It is prepared after extensive consultations with all stakeholders, consisting of architects & experts including building material suppliers and developers.
• The parameters listed have been developed based on large number of parameters using climate and energy related data.
• The code is expected to assist large number of architects and builders who are involved in design and construction of new residential complexes.
• It has potential for energy savings to the tune of 125 Billion Units of electricity per year by 2030, equivalent to about 100 million ton of Co2 emission.
National Energy Conservation Awards
• Ministry of Power in association with Bureau of Energy Efficiency celebrates the National Energy Conservation Day on every 14th December.
• On this day, 26 industrial units from various sectors were given awards for their excellent performance in energy efficiency.
About Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE)
• A statutory body under Ministry of Power created in March 2002 under the provisions of the nation’s 2001 Energy Conservation Act.
• To implement policy and programmes in energy efficiency and conservation.
Objective of BEE
• To reduce energy intensity in our country by optimizing energy demand and
• To reduce emissions of greenhouse gases (GHG), responsible for global warming and climate change.
Mains Paper 3: Environment | Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
Prelims level: Eco Niwas Samhita
Mains level: Promoting energy efficiency standards in building and constructions