Mains Paper 1: Indian History
Prelims level: Not Much
Mains level: Freedom struggle movement
• It is the collective awareness about our accomplishments achieved through the ages that fills us with a will that propels us.
• Instilling heroes and heroic struggles in anyone’s consciousness is an important way to build a strong society, nation or civilisation.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been at the forefront of shaping a grand narrative of civilisational awareness within the younger generations.
Can you guess who he remembered on the occasion?
• In the 38th edition of ‘Mann Ki Baat’, speaking of the glorious history of India as a naval power, he said, “Very few people might be aware that most navies of the world allowed women on warships much later.
• But in the Chola navy, a large number of women played leading roles and that too about 800-900 years ago.”
• Today, he is also reviving India as a naval power with the strategic actions around Iran’s Chabahar port and Myanmar’s Sittwe port.
• Almost every political party has used Ambedkar’s name but a meaningful tribute had always eluded him.
• It took the Modi government to develop five important places related to Babasaheb’s life as “Panchateerth’.
• Generations to come will remember that it is Narendra Modi in his capacity both as chief minister of Gujarat initially and then as prime minister who ensured a fitting tribute to the man who unified India Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel with the tallest statue in the world.
• Through Swachh Bharat, the revival of khadi, setting up of a National Salt Satyagraha Memorial at Dandi, Mahatma Gandhi’s memory and ideals have always remained at the centrestage.
• It is endearing to see the way in which PM Modi claimed the legacy of democracy to India’s credit standing on the soil of London.
• While unveiling Lord Basaveshwara’s statue there in 2015, he said, “long before the Magna Carta, considered the first charter of democracy, 12th-century Indian philosopher Basaveshwara gave the world the ideals of democracy.”
• Be it history or culture, PM Modi knows how to take inspiration from the civilisational values that India has in abundance and instil the same spirit in the younger generation.
• His initiatives to bring back the stolen statues and artefacts of India from various countries and using the power of the Ramayana and Buddha to connect with the other parts of the world indicate a grand narrative of India as a global power not just driven by its present and future but also by its past.
Q.1) Pradhan Mantri Yuva Yojana (PMYY) is focused towards
a) Entrepreneurship education and training
b) Ensuring cent per cent tertiary education enrolment
c) Promoting sports and physical activity in the youth
d) Countering anti-social elements and activities in the youth
Q.1) A rediscovery is afoot of forgotten heroes and civilization ethos. Comment