• The Union Highway Transportation and Highways Ministry on December 18, 2018 asked states to facilitate acceptance of driving licence and other documents these types of as car or truck registration certificates in digital structure by enforcement agencies.
• The Ministry, though issuing a Regular Working Course of action (SOP) to states, stated that the car proprietors can also display their documents such as driving licence, RCs and insurance certificates as a result of cell applications like Digilocker and mParivahan application.
• The motor vehicle entrepreneurs have been permitted to existing their important files this sort of as the certificate of registration, insurance coverage, conditioning and permit, driving licence, the certificate for air pollution less than check out and any other applicable files in digital format
• With this, the motor vehicle owners may well now, not be demanded to carry the files in difficult formats.
• Folks can develop the documents or other info both as a result of the Digilocker application or the mParivahan app.
• They can obtain the Driving Licence or the Registration Certificate by means of these apps and store on their cell equipment.
• They can also display particulars relating to the Driving Licence or the RC by the mParivahan application on mobile by means of net connectivity.
• The final decision would allow the enforcement agencies like site visitors and transport departments to at the same time accessibility the facts from the eChallan application, which has facts for on-line verification of automobile and its licence status.
• The off-line verification of mParivahan QR Code is also offered on the platform. The enforcement organizations can use standard android cellular applications for the function.
• The enforcement organizations can also have out finish demanding procedure together with tagging of the Driving Licence or the Certificate of Registration for impounding or suspension.
Highlights observed by the ministry
• The Transport ministry has urged the states that the conventional functioning procedure may well be adopted for ensuring compliance with the provisions of rule 139 of the Central Motor Vehicles Guidelines, 1989.
• The notification to amend the Central Motor Cars Regulations, 1989 to this influence was issued previous month.
Mains Paper 3: Science and Technology
Prelims level: Electronic vehicles
Mains level: Electronic vehicles amendment and regulations