[Gist of Yojana December] Digital India- at the heart of Poorna Swaraj

Mains Paper 3: Science and Technology

Prelims level: Digital India

Mains level: Awareness in the fields of IT and development process

Context

• The promise of freedom and true empowerment at national, organizational and individual level was the intent behind the freedom movement championed by founding fathers like Bhagat Singh and Gandhi.

• But unfortunately hundreds of millions still suffer under the yoke of poverty and exploitation.

• Digital India providing information equality to everyone is the final realization of Poorna Swaraj for every individual. It was observed that under the PDS the grains do not reach 25-50% of the poor.

• Digital India spans 3 fundamental blocks. Universal broadband, 100% digital services, Open APIs.

Solutions

• Un leasing India’s vast potential requires a level of transparency, efficiency in implementation-including elimination of leakages and giving pure freedom to our
professionals, innovators and enterprise to conduct business at a speed that makes
them global leaders.

• Universal affordable broadband at speeds of 10-15 Mbps for each person and home
ensures that each of our 1.3 billion citizens is empowered.

• Availability of an open application programming interface (API) ensures uniformity of access like Aadhar,GSTN ,eSign and is solely responsible for India’s leadership position in the global Fintech revolution.

Fintech Revolution

• Fintech or financial technology is used to describe new technologies that seek to automate the delivery and use of financial services.

Digital technology advantages

• This will create an environment of zero friction enterprise.

• These enterprises will help grow 20-30 % CAGR.

What is CAGR?

• The compound annual growth rate (CAGR) is a useful measure of growth over multiple time periods.

Challenges and way forward

• The number of jobs created by these singularity enterprises will be minuscule, employing less than 5% of the country. What about the rest 95%? To which Gandhiji answered years back-‘humble, local and sustainable work’.

• India is not just a country of 1.3 billion, it is also a country of about 160 million small
and micro enterprises which if truly empowered will at scale they solve two problems

• They will solve the problem of agricultural income by collaborating with farmers to augment farm produce where at least a third of the net value of farm output will rest with the farmer.

• In parallel, micro business will solve the employment problem at a massive, hyper-local scale.

Conclusion

• In a world where governance (digital India), marketing (online ads), supply chains (digital logistics), and distribution (e-commerce) are all digital, there will be no friction in the way of India.

• That is what modern India will look like when developed.

Share article