Mains Paper 3: Science and Technology
Prelims level: Digital revolution
Mains level: Awareness in the fields of IT and development process
• The digital revolution is often called the fourth industrial revolution.
• First three are the steam engine, followed by science and mass production, and then computers.
• Under TRAI’s recommendation, the ecosystem used for the delivery of digital services consists of multiple entities like telecom service providers (TSPs), mobile handsets tablets, personal computers ,M2M (machine to machine) devices, communication networks,browsers,operating system, over the top (OTT) services providers, applications etc.
What is TRAI?
• The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) is a statutory body under the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India Act, 1997 that regulates the telecommunications sector in India.
• Business challenges include pacing up with the regulations as it includes intervention by multiple regulators.
• Technical challenges are related to data digital privacy, data ownership and AI-based challenges.
• In order to protect the consumers interests, TRAI has launched various apps like MySpeed app for data speed measurement, Mycall app to report voice call quality and do not disturb app for crowd sourcing of data about offending messages and calls.
• Recently TRAI has launched an online portal for presenting and comparing the tariffs offered by various telecommunications services providers.
• TRAI has a role in not only regulating the digital revolution but also adaptively regulating emerging technologies.