• Global IT Challenge for Youth with Disabilities (GITC), 2018” will be held in New Delhi during 8th to 11th November, 2018.
• A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in this regard was signed between Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD), Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment and Rehabilitation International Korea here yesterday.
• As per MoU, both the parties have agreed to cooperate in making all arrangements for the successful events in providing all necessary financial, logistics, manpower and other facilities.
• This event will have around 300 participants including 120 Youth with disabilities from 24 Asia Pacific countries. GITC is being held every year in Asia- Pacific region and such events were held in the past in countries like Korea, China, Thailand, Vietnam etc.
Key highlights of this competition
• This competition is amongst four categories of disabilities namely, Physical, Visual, Hearing and Intellectual.
• The competition is a testing ground for individual as well as group competencies in the field of IT.
• Awards will be given to the most successful candidates from different categories of event.
• This competition is expected to enrich further the IT skills of Youth with Disabilities further and help them emerge as future leaders.
• India is co-hosting the event alongwith Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of Korea and its organising partners namely Rehabilitation International Korea and LG Group.
• The event will also have a Seminar for IT Forum in which the countries will present their work and achievement in ensuring accessibility to persons with disabilities in the IT sector.
• DEPwD will also involve major stakeholders in this event, which would include Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), Ministry of YouthAffairs and Sports and Ministry of Human Resource Development etc.
Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development & management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources
Prelims level: Global IT Challenge for Youth with Disabilities
Mains level: Initiatives for disabled persons