• India which is the major producer and consumer of milk has prolonged the ban on import of milk products from China for 4 months. The ban would go on until 23rd April 2019 as for every the notification issued by the Ministry of Commerce.
• The Directorate Normal of Foreign Trade (DGFT), an arm of the commerce ministry which deals with the norms related to exports and imports of the region in a statement has explained that “Prohibition on import of milk, milk solutions (together with candies, chocolate merchandise, candies, confectionary food preparations with milk or milk solids as a component) from China is prolonged for a further time period of four months, i.e. until April 23, 2019, or until additional orders”.
Why the Ban?
• The ban was largely imposed thanks to the issues about the presence of melamine in some of the milk consignments from China.
• Melamine is a harmful non-edible chemical employed for generating plastics and fertilisers.
• Even nevertheless India does not import milk items from China, the ban is imposed as a preventive measure.
Mains Paper 2: Governance
Prelims level: Ban on the import of milk products from China