• Union minister Hardeep Singh Puri Monday launched the Global Housing Technology Challenge (GHTC) among stakeholders, a move aimed at introducing best technologies that seek to construct houses in a shorter period of time with lower cost.
• Under the initiative launched by the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Urban (PMAY-U), the government will hold ‘grand expo-cum-conference’ in March where stakeholders will showcase their best technologies to build houses.
• Builders can opt for identified technologies for timely delivery of their projects.
• The PMAY-U, launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in June 2015.
• It aims to construct more than one crore houses and ensure “Housing for All by 2022” by providing financial assistance to the beneficiaries.
• The ministry has so far sanctioned around 68.5 lakh for construction under the PMAY (U). Around 1.5 million houses have been handed over to beneficiaries.
• The technologies identified at the March conference will be implemented on a pilot basis to see the results.
• Puri envisioned to source technologies from all over the world and identify those that would be suitable for adoption in India.
Mains Paper 1: Social Issues | Urbanization, their problems & remedies
Prelims level: GHTC
Mains level: Housing for all