• The Department of Science and Technology and Doordarshan on Tuesday launched two science communications initiatives – DD Science and India Science, officials said.
• Speaking at the launch of the free-to-air channels, Science and Technology Minister Harsh Vardhan said developing a scientific temperament was a “critical necessity” and the ultimate aim was to launch a 24/7 channel dedicated to science.
• He stressed that there was no dearth of ideas, talent and potential in the country.
Vital highlights about this initiative
• An agreement between Vigyan Prasar, an autonomous organisation under Department of Science and Technology and Doordarshan, was signed on the occasion.
• The channels will have science based documentaries, studio based discussions, virtual walkthroughs of scientific institutions, interviews and short films and will be completely free to access, said Director General, Doordarshan, Supriya Sahu.
• While DD Science is a one hour slot on Doordarshan National channel, India Science is an internet based channel.
Mains Paper 2: Governance
Prelims level: 24×7 national science channel
Mains level: Read the story