• The commerce ministry Monday said Government eMarketplace (GeM) has launched an initiative to enable women entrepreneurs and self-help groups to sell different products on the platform.
• GeM is an online platform of the ministry for the procurement of goods and services by government departments, public sector units, and other agencies.
• The initiative – Womaniya on GeM – seeks to develop women entrepreneurship on the margins of society to achieve gender-inclusive economic growth, it said in a statement.
• The initiative would enable women entrepreneurs and women self-help groups to sell handicrafts and handloom, jute and coir products, home decor and office furnishings, directly to various government ministries, departments and institutions, it said.
• “Womaniya homepage [https://gem.gov.in/womaniya] will inform procurement officers in various government ministries, departments and CPSEs about the drive to promote procurement of common use goods and services from women entrepreneurs,” it added.
• So far, 1,80,862 sellers and service providers are registered with the portal to sell 7,31,431 products and services.
Mains Paper 2: Governance
Prelims level: e Marketplace
Mains level: Women empowerment schemes