• Professionals keen on doing volunteer work in their free time will be provided a platform by the government through an app, #Self4Society, developed by MyGov.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch the app at a townhall-style event here on October 24.
Objectives of this platform
• This platform will help to create better synergies among so many initiatives and lead to a much better outcome of the efforts of professionals.
• Companies have observed that a spirit of service and volunteering improves employee satisfaction and reduces employee attrition.
• This app comes after discussions with companies from the information technology sector on these lines.
• The app will have incentives, gamification and intra- and inter-company competitions, and social networking.
• At first, this will be aimed at IT companies, with more joining in when it takes off.
• The volunteer time for the government’s flagship programmes such as Swachh Bharat is expected to increase.
• The townhall-style inauguration will be attended by 2,000 in the city, and thousands more will join from other cities through video link.
Mains Paper 2: Governance | Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
Prelims level: #Self4Society app
Mains level: CSR activities in India.