• Union Minister of Commerce and Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu on December 14, 2018 announced to set up a National Medical Devices Promotion Council under the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) in the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
• The announcement was made on the occasion of 4th WHO Global Forum on Medical Devices at Andhra Pradesh Medtech Zone in Vishakhapatnam.
National Medical Devices Promotion Council
• The Council will be headed by Secretary of the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP).
• Apart from the concerned departments of Government, it will also have representatives from health care industry and quality control institutions.
• The Andhra Pradesh MedTech Zone of Visakhapatnam, will provide technical support to the Council.
• Act as a facilitating, promotional & developmental body for the Indian Medical Devices Industry.
• Hold periodic seminars, workshops and related activities to garner views of the industry and understand best global practices in the sector.
• Identify avoidable processes and render technical assistance to the agencies and departments concerned to simplify the approval processes for MDI promotion and development.
• Enable entry of emerging interventions and support certifications for manufacturers to reach levels of global trade norms and lead India to an export driven market in the sector.
• Support dissemination and documentation of international norms and standards for medical devices by capturing the best practices in the global market.
• Facilitate domestic manufacturers to rise to international level of understanding of regulatory and non regulatory needs of the industry.
• Drive a robust and dynamic Preferential Market Access (PMA) policy by identifying the strengths of the Indian manufacturers and discouraging unfair trade practices in imports.
• Ensure pro-active monitoring of public procurement notices across India to ensure compliance with PMA guidelines of DIPP and DoP.
• Undertake validation of Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs) and other such entities within MDI sector, which add value to the industry strength in manufacturing to gain foothold for new entrants.
• Make recommendations to government based on industry feedback and global practices on policy and process interventions to strengthen the medical technology sector.
Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development & management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources
Prelims level: NMDPC
Mains level: Functions of the proposed council