• In Nagaland, the 19th edition of the Hornbill Festival 2018 began with a colourful extravaganza of music and dance today.
• Inaugurating the opening ceremony this evening, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh conveyed his greetings to the people of Nagaland on the occasion of Statehood Day .
• US Ambassador to India, Kenneth I Juster and Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde also attended the function.
• Union Home Minister Mr. Rajnath Singh said the spectacular Hornbill festival showcases the rich ancient culture and civilization of the people of Nagaland.
• Mr Rajnath said such festivals should be organised in other parts of India, including the national capital, and other States in the true spirit of “Ek Bharat, Shrestha Bharat”.
• Emphasizing that Nagaland is geographically located at a vantage point, he said the Central Government is determined to build and improve connectivity and engagement with South-East Asia.
• On the 55th Anniversary of the State, he called upon the people to stride for rapid economic growth and be contributors in making India a world power.
• Later, Mr. Rajnath Singh visited the Morungs put up by the 17 tribes of Nagaland and exhibition stalls of various local entrepreneurs.
Mains Paper 1: Arts and Culture| Salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
Prelims level: Hornbill Festival, Great Indian Hornbill
Mains level: India’s rich cultural treasure and ways to preserve it