• The Human Rights Day 2016 was noticed across the globe on December 10, 2018 to commemorate the adoption of the Common Declaration of Human Rights.
• The working day aims at advertising and marketing and increasing awareness of the two Covenants of Human Rights Working day.
• They are: Worldwide Covenant on Economic Social and Cultural Legal rights (ICESCR) and the Intercontinental Covenant on Civil and Political Legal rights (ICCPR).
• The Theme of the 2018 Human Legal rights Working day was ‘Let us stand up for equality, justice and human dignity’.
70th anniversary of the Common Declaration of Human Legal rights
• This 12 months, Human Rights Working day marked the 70th anniversary of the Common Declaration of Human Rights, a document that proclaimed the rights which every person is essentially entitled to as a human being irrespective of race, color, religion, intercourse, language, nationwide or social origin, assets, or start.
• The Declaration was adopted by the United Nations Normal Assembly in Paris on December 10, 1948 as a popular conventional of accomplishment for all peoples and all nations.
• It was drafted by reps with distinctive authorized and cultural backgrounds from all areas of the world.
• The Universal Declaration is the most translated document in the entire world, obtainable in much more than 500 languages.
• The Human Legal rights Day commemorates the day on which the United Nations Typical Assembly (UNGA) adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in 1948.
• In 1950, the Assembly passed resolution 423 (V), inviting all States and interested organisations to observe 10 December of each individual calendar year as Human Legal rights Day.
• UNGA in December 1993 created the mandate of Substantial Commissioner for the promotion and security of all human legal rights.
• The first Human Legal rights Day was celebrated in 1950.
Mains Paper 2: International Relations
Prelims level: Human Rights Day
Mains level: Human Rights and related issues