• International Centre for Automotive Technology (ICAT) launched the Certification with high-security features in order to prevent the use of forged certificates in New Delhi.
• International Centre for Automotive Technology is located at Manesar in Gurugram district of Haryana state of India.
• ICAT is the premier certification agency authorized by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MORTH) for providing testing and certification services to the vehicle and component manufacturers situated within India and abroad.
• In addition to the certification services, ICAT is providing extensive testing services for product development and validation.
• This is a first of its kind initiative taken by any automotive certification agency in India for enhancing the security of the Central Motor Vehicles Rule certificates.
• These certificates include Type Approval Certificates (TAC) and Conformity of Production (COP) Certificates for vehicles, engines and components.
• The new ICAT certificate format consists of nine new and unique security features incorporated in the certificate.
• The most important security feature is the paper itself on which the certificate is to be printed as it is a special paper which is made especially according to ICAT’s specific requirements.
• The unique features in the certificate are: High-security paper, Printing using the ultraviolet ink, Troymark, Microprint, Pantograph, Reverse Pantograph, Secure code, Print code, Digitally printed stamp and seal of ICAT.
About the unique features
• While some of the security features are generic in nature, the other features are specific for each certificate i.e. the contents or the information covered through these features will be specific for that particular certificate.
• Some of the features are visible only through ultraviolet light.
• The certificates will be printed using special printers which have been imported by ICAT for this very purpose.
• With the new high-security features, it will become difficult to forge or counterfeit the ICAT certificate.
Mains Paper 2: Governance | Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
Prelims level: ICAT, ICAT certification
Mains level: Certification of motor vehicles for various safety and security standards