• The Government has approved “Revitalizing Infrastructure and Systems in Education by 2022”.
• In accordingly the scope of institutions to be funded through Higher Education Financing Agency (HEFA) has been enlarged to encompass School Education and Medical Education institutions, apart from Higher Education.
• The Government of India, in August 2018, had sanctioned the scheme “Impactful Policy Research in Social Sciences (IMPRESS)” at a total cost of Rs. 414 Cr for implementation up to 31.03.2021.
Highlights of the Scheme:
• 1500 research projects will be awarded for 2 years to support the social science research in the higher educational and to enable research to guide policy making.
• Indian Council of Social Science and Research (ICSSR)
Objectives of the Scheme:
• To identify and fund research proposals in social sciences with maximum impact on the governance and society.
• To ensure selection of projects through a transparent, competitive process on online mode.
• To provide an opportunity for social science researchers in any institution in the country, including all Universities (Centre and State), private institutions with 12(B) status conferred by UGC.
• ICSSR funded/recognized research institutes will also be eligible to submit research proposals on the given themes and sub-themes.
• Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) was established in the year of 1969 by the Government of India to promote research in social sciences in the country.
• Higher Education Financing Agency (HEFA) is a joint venture of MHRD Government of India and Canara Bank with an agreed equity participation in the ratio of 91% and 9% respectively.
• It is for financing the creation of capital assets in premier educational institutions in India as part of rising 2022.
• HEFA’s scope is greatly expanded to cover school education, educational institutes under the Ministry of Health, etc.
• HEFA is registered under Section 8 [Not-for-Profit] under the Companies Act 2013 as a Union Govt company and as Non-deposit taking NBFC (NBFC-ND-Type II) with RBI.
Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to the development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
Prelims level: IMPRESS, RISE 2022
Mains level: Facilitating research in India through various mechanisms