• India on Tuesday successfully conducted the night trial of the indigenously developed nuclear capable Agni-I ballistic missile off the Odisha coast.
• The surface-to-surface missile test was test-fired as part of a user-trial from the Abdul Kalam Island off Odisha coast.
• Defence sources said Strategic Forces Command of Indian Army test-fired the missile and the night trial of Agni missile was successful.
• The night trial of the ballistic missile with a strike range of 700 km was first conducted in April 2014, said sources.
• The missile with a strike range of beyond 700 km has a specialised navigation system. It has already been inducted in the Indian Army
Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology
Prelims level: Particulars of the Agni-I missile
Mains level: Strategic importance of missile development for India