• India has been elected as a Member of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) Councilfor another 4-year term (2019-2022).
• The elections to the Council were held during the ongoing ITU Plenipotentiary Conference 2018 at Dubai, UAE.
• By securing 165 votes, India ranked third among the 13 countries elected to the Council from the Asia-Australasia region, and eighth among the 48 countries elected to the Council globally.
• The ITU has 193memberstates who elect representatives to the Council.
• India has been an active member of the ITU since 1869, earnestly supporting the development and propagation of telecom in the global community of nations.
• The country has been a regular member of the ITU Council since 1952, and has played an important role in harmonizing the contributions of member States from the region, always respecting the principlesof equality andconsensus-building.
• India shares the dream and vision of ITU to realize the world as one nation and knowledge society.
• Minister added,“Our strong partnership with the ITU is also demonstrated in the recent ITU decision to set up the ITU South Asia Area Office and Technology Innovation Centre in New Delhi.
Mains Paper 2: IR | Bilateral, regional & global groupings & agreements involving India &/or affecting India’s interests
Prelims level: ITU
Mains level: Importance of ITU