• Parliament has been informed that for building Kalewa-Yagyi road section and bridges on the India-Myanmar-Thailand trilateral highway.
• Rs 193.16 of the Rs 1,830.87 crore fund has been released by India.
Key highlights of this project
• An initiative of the India, Myanmar and Thailand, the trilateral highway is 1,360 km long.
• India is undertaking constructions of two sections on the highway in Myanmar which involve building 120.74 km Kalewa-Yagyi road section and constructing 69 bridges along with the approach road on the 149.70 km Tamu-Kyigone-Kalewa (TKK) road section.
• Both these projects are being funded by India under the grant assistance to the Government of Myanmar.
• Mandaviya said that the work on these sections were awarded in May 2018 and November 2017 on engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) mode.
• The projects are scheduled to be finished in three years since the start of the construction date by the executing agency.
Mains Paper 3: Economy | Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
Prelims Level: Particulars of the Highway
Mains Level: Importance of proposed project