• The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has inventoried 1,72,517 bridges/structures underneath the Indian Bridge Management System (IBMS).
• It comprises of 1,34,229 culverts, 32,806 slight bridges, 3,647 big and 1,835 additional-extensive bridges.
• Indian Bridge Administration Method (IBMS) was launched by the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways to develop a stock of all bridges in the country and price their structural affliction so that timely repair service and rehabilitation perform can be carried out dependent on the criticality of the construction.
• Lack of apparent aim databases on bridges in the nation has led to a problem wherever the authorities have been neither crystal clear about the exact amount and location of the bridges nor they have been in a position to preserve this asset inappropriate performing issue. IBMS has been introduced in to address this anomaly.
The stock under IBMS contains of:
• Less than the IBMS, every bridge is assigned an exclusive identification quantity or National Identity Selection centered on the condition, RTO zone and irrespective of whether it is positioned on a National Freeway, State Highway or is a district street.
• The specific locale of the bridge in phrases of latitude-longitude is collected as a result of GPS and based on these, the bridge is assigned a Bridge Area Quantity.
• Engineering attributes like the design, elements, type of bridge, its age, loading, visitors lane, size, the width of carriageway etc are gathered and are utilized to assign a Bridge Classification Amount to the construction.
• The Engineering attributes are then employed to do a structural score of the construction on a scale of to 9, and each individual bridge is assigned a Structural Score Quantity.
• Socio-Financial Bridge Rating Amount will be assigned based on the value of the structure in relation to its contribution to the day by day socio-economic activity of the place in its vicinity.
• Primarily based on the pursuing data from stock, IBMS will analyse facts and establish bridges that have to have noticed.
• Also, an inspection will be carried out wherever required to make improvements to the operational availability of the framework, boost its existence and prioritize repair and rehabilitation do the job.
Mains Paper 3: Economy | Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
Prelims level: IBMS
Mains level: Road Infrastructure maintenance in India