• The Centre has proposed another pro-tribal measure – renaming of the Indian Forest Service as Indian Forest and Tribal Service.
• The Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) has initiated an inter-ministerial consultation note to rename the service and also train its cadre to be more receptive towards tribals and forest dwellers.
Key highlights of this move
• The move follows a directive from the National Commission for Scheduled Tribes (NCST) to this effect, said people aware of the matter.
• NCST concluded at a full commission meeting that the Indian Forest Service had long been at loggerheads with tribals, with whom IFS cadre is in close contact.
• Forest Service officials have always been the first point of government contact for tribals.
• But there is no awareness among the service officials on the different problems,” said a senior NCST official, who did not wish to be identified.
• In fact, tribals often complain of harassment like not being allowed to carry out their headloads of minor forest produce.
Mains Paper 2: Governance
Prelims level: Indian Forest and Tribal Service