• Indian Railway has taken a mission area to eliminate all Unmanned Level Crossings (UMLCs) on Broad Gauge and accordingly special efforts have been made so that elimination can be completed at the earliest.
• There were 3479 Unmanned Level Crossings on Broad Gauge routes.
• Total 3402 UMLCs have been eliminated in last seven months. Balance 77 UMLCs have also been planned to be eliminated by December 2018.
• Most of the UMLCs have been eliminated either by provision of Subway/RUBs or by manning.
Progress of elimination in last 10 years is as under
• In last 7 months progress improved more than 5 times as compared to last years.
• All Unmanned level crossings on routes having speed more than 130KMPH and on Sub-urban routes have been eliminated.
• 12 Zonal Railways – Central Railway, Eastern Railway, East Central Railway, East Coast Railway, North Eastern Railway, North East Frontier Railway, Southern Railway, South Central Railway, South Eastern Railway, South East Central Railway & West Central Railway are now become UMLC free on Broad Gauge route.
• The elimination of UMLCs on war footing, accidents at UMLCs have reduced from 65 in 2009-10 to 3 in 2018-19.
Mains Paper 3: Economy | Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways, etc.
Prelims level: Not much
Mains level: Eliminating UMLCs to prevent deadly accidents