• Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated the crew of the INS Arihant for completing its first deterrence patrol.
• It completing the country’s nuclear triad.
• INS Arihant is India’s first nuclear ballistic missile submarine.
• With the increase in nuclear arms, a credible nuclear deterrence is very important for our country.
• The success of INS Arihant is a major achievement for our country and a big step towards India’s security.
• Arihant is an open warning for India’s enemies and for enemies of peace. Arihant’s success is also a fitting response to those who indulge in nuclear blackmail.
• The Agni ballistic missiles and Mirage 2000 fighter jets could deliver the nuclear weapons from the land and sea respectively, but a nuclear-powered submarine was missing from the nuclear triad.
• The nuclear triad gives India the capability to strike with nuclear weapons from land, air and sea.
• The nuclear-powered submarines which have nuclear-tipped ballistic missiles are considered the triad’s most “difficult-to-detect” and therefore the most effective part.
Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Achievements of Indians in science & technology
Prelims level: INS Arihant, Nuclear Triad, ATV project
Mains level: Boost to India’s security establishment with nuclear triad becoming operational