• The Human Space Flight Centre (HSFC), the hub of ISRO’s future manned missions, was inaugurated at ISRO headquarters in Bengaluru on Wednesday, the space agency has said.
• Announced on August 15 2018, the country’s first crewed mission is set to happen by 2022, the 75th year of Independence.
Key highlights of the Gaganyaan’s crew module
• A full scale model of Gaganyaan’s crew module was also unveiled as former ISRO chairman K. Kasturirangan inaugurated the new centre in the presence of ISRO Chairman K. Sivan, former chairmen and centre directors.
• Earlier this month, Dr. Sivan named S. Unnikrishnan Nair as the founder Director of HSFC and R. Hutton as the project director of Gaganyaan.
• HSFC shall be responsible for the implementation of Gaganyaan project which involves mission planning, development of engineering systems for crew survival in space, crew selection and training and also pursue activities for sustained human space flight missions.
• HSFC will take the support of ISRO centres to implement the first developmental flight.”
Mains Paper 3: Science and Technology | Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics etc.
Prelims level: Gaganyaan Mission, HSFC
Mains level: India’s aspiration for a manned mission in Space.