• The LightSail 2 is a project to demonstrate controlled solar sailing using a miniature CubeSat satellite.
• It will be launched from the Kennedy Space Center, Florida, US in April 2019.
• LightSail 2 is the second of three satellites built to demonstrate the feasibility of powering a spacecraft using solar radiation.
• This mission is designed to see if LightSail can move into higher orbits around the Earth using only photons from the sun to push it along.
• Solar sails (also called light sails or photon sails) are a proposed method of spacecraft propulsion using radiation pressure exerted by sunlight on large mirrors.
Mains Paper 3: Science and Technology
Prelims level: LightSail2