• Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad has said the government will soon make it mandatory for linking Aadhaar with driving licences.
Important highlights of this move
• The Aadhaar linkage you can change your name but you cannot change your biometrics, neither iris nor fingerprints.
• So the moment you go in for a duplicate licence, the system will say this person already has a driving licence and should not be given a new one,” said Prasad, explaining the need for the linkage.
• Eulogising about the Centre’s ‘Digital India’ programme, the minister claimed that it had bridged the urban-rural divide.
• Through a power presentation, Prasad said, “This is digital profile of India — 123 crore Aadhaar cards,121 crore mobile phones, 44.6 crore smart phones, 56 crore internet users, there has been 51 per cent growth in e-commerce. There is 130 crore population in India.”
• He also said digital payment transactions in the country have increased manifold to over Rs 2,070 crore in 2017-18.
Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development & management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources
Prelims level: Linking aadhaar with driving licence
Mains level: Read the story