• In a letter addressed to the Chief Ministers of all States/UTs, Minister of Women and Child Development, Smt. Maneka Gandhi has urged the States/UTs to issue necessary directions to the concerned department to take necessary steps for including male child victims of sexual abuse in the Victim Compensation Scheme/Fund.
• The letter also requests that compensation including interim compensation may be given to the victim on time.
• The minister highlighted that POCSO Act is gender neutral and safeguards the interest of not only the girl child but also the male child. The letter also mentions that the disbursement of compensation has not been uniform or satisfactory.
• The letter also draws attention that in some of the states the interim compensation to child victims of sexual abuse is not being awarded to meet the immediate medical and other needs of the child for relief or rehabilitation.
• The letter stresses that male child who is the most neglected victim of child sexual abuse is being ignored for award of compensation and needs to be included.